Gifted Thief (Highlands Magic #1) by Helen Harper



Warning: spoilers ahead

This was certainly different from the Fae books that I’ve read. I like how it was set in the modern day but it had a mythological twist. I also love the sci-fi references throughout the book! (My inner nerd is happy).

 The story is addicting. Integrity is a master thief who escaped from the Sidhe (pronounced “She”). She’s been summoned a few times since she escaped when she was a little girl. Finally, as her family is getting arrested and being hunted for debt (long story!), she tries to take matters into her own hands. That’s when she met Byron, the son of the Steward, and she learns that they need her to save the magic. However, she’ll soon learn that not everything is what it seems as her magic grows and her life gets put in danger.

I wasn’t instantly hooked on the story because I didn’t understand what was happening yet. I think the first half was a bit slow but that was okay as it was a build-up to the action packed second half. It wasn’t a surprise to me that someone was after her life, especially since she’s the only remaining member of her clan.

What made me love the book was her attitude. She always remains positive even when things weren’t going her way. Let’s not forget how she always thinks of a joke for any situation that she’s in. I love how she found a family with Taylor, Speck, Lexie, and Brochan. The way they interacted and supported throughout the book really showed how they value, respect, and love each other.

And Bob! He reminded me so much of the Genie from Aladdin, especially when he wanted to prove himself to Integrity and granted her a free wish (similar to what Genie did for Aladdin in the Cave of Wonders).

Lastly, let’s talk about Byron. I instantly knew that he would be her love interest when he was introduced in the prologue. All their scenes together made me giddy and kept me looking forward to their next interaction. I love their chemistry! From their first scene, you can sense that they have a connection and attraction to each other. I had to keep reminding myself how old he was though, because I kept imagining him as an 18-19 year old teenager.


Summary: The first book was addicting and I can’t wait to read the next books in the series!

Comments